[GRLUG] Dell Ubuntu Computer Issue

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon Jan 15 17:59:55 EST 2024

On 1/15/24 14:46, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2024, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:
>> Except... this particular model has the SDD soldered to the
>> motherboard, if my research is right.
> Doubtful, .. would be a pain for even the factory to install - more
> likely a verson of an M2 package, see replacing:
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+13+SSD+Replacement/76058 Perhaps
> send it back to Dell repair and have THEM install a Windows OS, then,
> when you get it back, wipe and install your favorite distro. Use a
> live CD and try other distros if you feel like it, .. personally, I
> dropped Ubuntu after the whole Unity thing many years ago. My HP Envy
> (10+ years old, AMD A10) is still going strong, with no HW problems at
> all with OpenSuSE. Lee

It does seem to be the case that SDD and RAM are soldered in this model
(though not in other XPS 13s).

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/dell-xps-13-9315-repair-no-headphone-jack:

"The SSD, a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe drive, is in an 11.5 x 13 mm package, which
Dell calls the smallest in the industry. It's in a BGA, or Ball Grid
Array, which uses solder to permanently attach components. You won’t be
replacing it if it fails or swapping in something bigger or faster down
the line. And the battery is integrated, so replacing it will be a chore
if you can do it all.

"Elizabeth Chamberlain, director of sustainability at iFixit, said there
are several XPS 13 laptops with soldered RAM in her organization, which
she had hoped to see change in future revisions.

""We have quite a few XPS 13s deployed at iFixit, and we have had
reliability problems with XPS 13 machines with soldered-in RAM failing,"
Chamberlain said. "When that happens, we have to replace the entire
expensive main board rather than swapping out RAM like we can on the XPS
15. Rather than reversing that design mistake, Dell appears to be
doubling down.""

And (https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-xps-13-9315):

"Unfortunately, It has become increasingly common for laptop
manufacturers to use soldered RAM in the race to make laptops thinner
and thinner. But Dell's SSD is mounted on a ball grid array, meaning
that can't be replaced either. I wish this redesign had kept more
repairability in mind. That being said, it does follow trends from
Apple, and it's likely we'll see it more and more of this as companies
make their motherboards smaller."

I just wish I could send it back. But they keep telling me, like a
broken machine, that they do not support Ubuntu. I keep telling them
it's a hardware, not a software problem but that doesn't seem to make
any difference. In fact, the first tech I talked to refused to believe
that Dell sold computers pre-installed with Linux.

So I'm stuck with an 1800 dollar brick. I'll try local repair (we have a
Microcenter here) and see what a new motherboard+RAM (I paid for 32G
when I ordered the machine)+ new SDD would cost.

In the end I tried to install from the Fedora USB live boot, but that
didn't succeed either.

Time to take it in and see what a new motherboard cum RAM cum SSD will cost.

:-(

--
Eric Beversluis
www.ericbeversluis.com