[GRLUG] Windows VM thumb drive dismounting

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Tue May 23 14:26:23 EDT 2023

On Tue, 23 May 2023, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:

> I'm running Win 10 on a VirtualBox VM in Ubuntu 20.04.
> Each time I plug in my thumb drive, Win warns me there's a problem with the drive and wants to scan it.

Windoze complaining, or Linux?

Windoze will complain about a number of low-level issues; simplest
solution there is to unmount/mount in Linux.

> I've concluded that Win is not dismounting the thumb drive when I send the shutdown signal to the VM.

That can happen. Things to watch out for:

 * Be sure to eject a thumb drive BEFORE shutting down;
 * If you are writing something ot the thumb drive, be VERY careful that
it is finished before unmounting;
 * If an unmount fails, wait!! If you don't, it is very likely you will
have to reformat.

	Lee