[GRLUG] Faster down-loading alternatives to WordPress

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Tue Mar 26 09:33:03 EDT 2024

My host tells me that the slow download of my site is because of WP.
They suggest checking whether some plugins are making it worse and also
suggest using the wpsupercache plugin.

When I searched for alternatives to WP, they all seem to be alternative
commercial sites (e.g. Big Daddy), except for Drupal. I've messed with
Drupal in the past and am not inclined to go that way.

My experience (ten or more years old now) is that you get locked in with
Big Daddy, Wix etc. Is that still a relevant consideration?

Are there any alternatives to WP for DIY sites that I could use with my
current host?

Thanks.

PS-I'm back on Linux (Fedora 39) on Dell XPS 13 9315 after about five
years on an inherited Mac. I'm running Win 10 in a VirtualBox VM to use
Scrivener (and Word when nec). It works well except the box tends to
overheat, especially when using an external monitor. I think that's what
ruined the first SSD that came with the Dell. I've now installed the
Freon Gnome extension.

--
Eric Beversluis
www.ericbeversluis.com