[GRLUG] Thurs= ZFS filesystem. backups. @ stlLUG

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon Dec 18 16:38:58 EST 2023

Thurs 21 Dec '23

                     ZFS file System; 3-2-1 backups & bitrot

                                                      by   *Sean Twiehaus*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.sluug.org/bio/Sean_Twiehaus&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1N8QmwQW9-YvHFULddYKBZ>

Using ZFS to achieve 3-2-1 backups and bitrot protection on limited
hardware.

I'm gearing this talk towards homelab users. The premise will be: "I have
some documents (taxes, copies of drivers licenses, marriage certificate
etc.) that contain too much Personally Identifiable Information (PII) to
upload to Google or Dropbox. How can I keep these documents backed up and
secured using minimal hardware that I may already have laying around?

In this presentation I will show how I am achieving 3-2-1 Backups using an
ODROID H3+ using zfs_autobackup and Restic (links to each below).

The bulk of this presentation will be me explaining the ZFS setup that I
described in this forum post:
https://discourse.practicalzfs.com/t/snapshots-to-a-different-zpool-on-the-
same-host-as-part-of-a-3-2-1-backup-strategy/1074
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://discourse.practicalzfs.com/t/snapshots-to-a-different-zpool-on-the-same-host-as-part-of-a-3-2-1-backup-strategy/1074&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3eqh6AUsB17Ns6mw2yyVLe>

Basically, I have an ODROID H3+ that has multiple drives attached. I
configure them to have multiple zpools. I then take snapshots of one zpool
and send it to another zpool on the same host. This gives me two copies of
the data on two different storage devices. Then I use restic to send a
third copy offsite. I also use some nifty ZFS features to enable bitrot
protection on a single device zpool.

ODROID H3+:      https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h3-plus/
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h3-plus/&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw2hHcwbOtn2KT2NKup2GKjV>
3-2-1 Backups:    https://www.seagate.com/blog/what-is-a-3-2-1-backup-
strategy/
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.seagate.com/blog/what-is-a-3-2-1-backup-strategy/&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw2vrjdN9azzPX07LKaVvgTG>
zfs_autobackup: https://github.com/psy0rz/zfs_autobackup
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/psy0rz/zfs_autobackup&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw058n9MP5-ap4JJg3b2UJXP>
Restic:                   https://restic.net/
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://restic.net/&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw29y9UEZe_AD4R2zk55hJgM>

(Editor's note:   The ZFS file system was part of Sun's Solaris OS.
Originally Open Source, Oracle changed it after Oracle Inc bought Sun Inc
in 2010(?).   It took until 2013 for Oracle to make it OpenSource again.
During the wait, BTRfs stole alot of ZFS' ideas and proponents.  Now, Sean
will bring us up to date on the latest.

OpenZFS also runs on Linux & BSD (including MacOS).

EVERY MTNG:

See https://www.stllinux.org/
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.stllinux.org/&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3Y-AOfHPNKVMZJY5EzlB9e>