[GRLUG] Hosting ideas

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sun Mar 23 21:08:30 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 22:47 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> I run a site called Rosetta Code.  It's a fairly active wiki, with
> around 500 edits per week and around 10,000 page views per week,
> sometimes more.  Currently, the database weighs in at about 130MiB.
>
> Combined the database size, my shared hosting account at Bluehost, and
> my desire to do backups, and you get a problem.  See, this evening I
> wrote a script that would run mysqldump on the database and save it to
> my home machine.  Problem is, running mysqldump on that database on
> that server* causes sites to start spitting HTTP 500 errors, and my
> account gets suspended for a minute until the CPU utilization sliding
> window passes.
>
> * Bluehost has the MySQL server and Apache server on the same box for
> any given account.
>
> So I can't exactly automate it without taking down my site (and
> possibly many others) each time.  I need to find different hosting for
> Rosetta Code.  Preferably something that won't choke when I pull
> 100+MB of data out of the database every morning over an SSH
> connection.

I have a $50/month colo solution for my 1U rack server.

Its my machine... do anything I want.

$50/month gives me power and 1000GB of transfer per month.

Its nice.

www.waveform.net

But... be warned, though they ARE very reliable as far as overall
service... Response time can be a PITA.

$50/month also includes "mid-tower" machines. As long as you meet the
size and power reqs... you are good.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2